This next blog is all about improvised weapons. Improvised weapons are using your imagination to create a weapon out of anything available. If you are in a situation where you could get injured or killed, you better find the most effective item. Whatever you have in your environment are the choices you have to create a weapon. If you look around you right now you might see a few things you could use. A car key or a small table could be potential weapons. Here are a few suggestions of possible weapons:
- Belts-especially with heavy buckles
- Coats-a defensive tool against sharp objects
- High heels-they can be used like a hammer.
- Socks-fill them with coins or a can of soda.
- Any aerosol canister- sprayed in the eyes will sting.
- Nail file
- Straight Razor
- Foot powder-can also be used in the eyes.
- Laptop-can be used as a shield, or a shot to the throat
- Stapler-used a striking tool
- Computer power cords, prier cables, Ethernet cables are good for whipping and strangling
On a Plane:
- Book-to throw or strike the throat
- Rolled-up magazine
- Ball-point pen- for stabbing
- Vodka-to the eyes
- Blanket-throw over the face of an attacker to disorient and blind.
- Knifes, forks, spoons, rolling pin, pots, pans, lids
- Fire extinguisher (we’ve all seen this used as a weapon in movies)
- Anything from a toolbox
- Any sports equipment (for a weapon or protection)
- Plumbing Supplies
- Chain Saw
As you can see you can use just about anything as a weapon you might need in an emergency situation. If you are ever in a situation where someone is trying to harm you, you should use anything you can find for self-defense to get out of the situation alive.
Courtley, C. (2012). SEAL survival guide: A Navy SEAL’s secrets to surviving any disaster. New York: Gallery Books.